If you are interested in WCEL membership, please complete this application.
The lists found above indicate who is currently a member. Any of these members, as well as any of the honorary members listed below, may be approached for the required support of a nomination to WCEL membership.
The IUCN Statutes provide that all Commission membership expires three months after the World Conservation Congress. It is then for the Chair of each Commission to determine Commission membership, with the help of the Steering Committee.
Honorary WCEL members
The following persons were proposed and appointed as honorary WCEL members, in recognition of their outstanding lifelong contribution to environmental law:
- Hon. Justice P.N. Bhagwati (India)
- Mr. J. William Futrell (U.S.A.)
- Dr. Parvez Hassan (Pakistan)
- Mr. Donald W. Kaniaru (Kenya)
- Ambassador Tommy Koh (Singapore)
- Dr. Charles Odidi Okidi (Kenya)
- Professor Nicholas A. Robinson (U.S.A.)
- Dr. Iwona Rummel-Bulska (Kenya)
- Professor Dinah L. Shelton (U.S.A.)
- Hon. Justice Paul Stein (Australia)
- Dr. Wolfgang E. Burhenne (Germany) (2017)
- Dr. Françoise Burhenne-Guilmin (Belgium) (2013)
- Professor Patricia W. Birnie (U.K.) (2013)
- Ms. Angela S. Cropper (Trinidad & Tobago) (2012)
- Dr. Julio A. Barberis (Argentina) (2011)
- Professor Alexandre Kiss (France) (2007)